Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm a Mountain Climber!



















Mt Arab sounded very....middle eastern type of mountain, though it doesn't have anything to do with Arab. Why did they name it Mt Arab??
Mt Arab is located in Adirondack. It's one of those mountains that are popular for its views. In the Northern Country, there are still a wide range of trees and forest that are seriously beautiful. Just amazing. We then climbed up the mountain. It was a half hour hike. Well, for me probably more than half hour. lol. I'm kinda bad at hiking. I felt like I just wanted to fly to the top of the mountain! I was so tired. My creative writing class and Mrs Moreau's English class went there for a field trip. What we did was pretty interesting, in my opinion. Tiring too.
We'd been talking and working on transcendental writing, such as Terry Tempest Williams. It's a piece of writing, can be a poem or a story, that is based on nature and philosophy. Like the one Terry wrote, "The Country of Grasses", a beautiful piece. Transcendentalism is usually a "deep" kind of writing. People who can see themselves in nature and connects that with the existence of god.

So, in the effort of getting that "deep" feeling and thoughts, we had to hike this mountain, which I did with my fullest effort, and describe what we see on a piece of paper to turn it into a masterpiece. Tell you what? It was worth a hike! I have never seen such a beautiful scenery! The weather was chilly at the top, but everything else was just perfect!

Olivia writing her piece at the top of the mountain.

I didn't get the chance to write there, I was too busy taking pictures and eating. haha...But I'm working on it. In fact, I'm halfway through.
I just love it when I do descriptive writing!

After that, we climbed down the mountain, hopped on the bus and went to The Wild Centre! it's basically a museum on the wildlife creatures. It was fun. not very much to see, it's a small museum, but just enough to learn about the creatures in the northern country. I saw sea otters, different kinds of turtles (cute ones) and fish and bears and birds. I watched a movie on the global warming, how a long time ago, Adirondack was covered with ice. Thick ice like those in the Arctic. Now, it's still a beautiful place, so I don't think it's something to be regretted. lol. What a beutiful day!!



















It was a whole day field trip. I really had fun. But I was really tired! No kidding!
But obviously, field trip is something I'm always looking forward to. This one is my first one since I've been here. I'm really thankful that I', living in a country right now. These things are rare back where I live!

No comments: