Tuesday, October 7, 2008

AFS Orientation-Camp Wabasso, NY


the cute cartoon character.

Moi, et Pauline. Elle est Francaise!

Everybody's waiting for a day in the sun!! Everybody's working hard to have some fun!



The 4th and 5th of October were the best time I had since I've been here! For the second time, I met my AFS friends from other Asian countries and European. There were 18 exchange students that cheered me up. It was really fun. We all stayed for a night, playing, cooking, cleaning, taking pictures, had bonfire. I didn't want to come home. Basically, our activities were nothing special, but I just felt that it's special because I got be together with people that are in the same phase of adaptation as me, so we all feel like a family..
One of the thing that I found out was that, I was not the only one having problems here. They all do. Want to know one of my problem? Making good friends.
It's hard. Because ; first, I've been immersed in an environment where everybody have known everybody else for ages. I always felt like a stranger in the middle of nowhere. Second, this "moving class" thing really drove me crazy. I never get to know my friends that well. Just imagine that, every 45 minutes, I have to change friends! Deal with different people. Luckily, at lunch I always sit with Lindsey, her boyfriend, and the others, so I was not alone.
Seeing that as one of my biggest problem, you might and might not believe it, but it's happening. One may think it's no big deal, wait til you got immersed in a situation like mine! Fortunately, at the camp, where we really exchange experiences and stories, I was not the only one that finds it hard to make good friends! They all have the same problem. Even worse, problems with their host family!
I know I really am experiencing something kinda weird and funny, but also serious. Haha...This is a year where I have to make my own decision, handle my problems and balance my life while I am also being the minority in a small village environment, but never too small. Yeah...I know that. I feel weird, at times when I realize I am alone. That's why the orientation really helped and I just loved it! I love my friends!
Pauline, Kate, Kaja, Irene, Catherine, Pablo, Rex, Dea, Cartoon, Pasca, Gabrielle, everyone of them. I miss them soo much!!

3 comments:

Dewi Indriyani said...

nadhilaaaaaaaa i love you muah

Anonymous said...

that's my problem too! most of my international friends who already went back home said Canadians don't really like international students, because of not really fluent English, and because they will go back home sooner. they don't want to face the loss. having their own comfortable circle is also the main factor.

Raisa Kamila said...

huaaa.. Nadila! thanks ya supportnya! hehehe. Gudluck untuk tahun exchange kita! :)