Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Unstable March

I don't think people in Jakarta rely on weather forecast very much. I think it's because in the equator, the weather is unpredictable. Myself, I never paid attention to weather forecast. Until... One day my host mum insisted for us to buy boots and leave flip flops at home. Exactly the next day after I bought my boots, it snowed heavily. This was probably in November. From then on, I believe what ever the weather man on the radio says. And of course I rely on my thermometer to decide what outfit I should wear to school. The weather is pretty much the same all through November, December, January, February; snowing, chilly and dry and just gloomy. Until the beginning of this month when the icicles are starting to melt, all the snow are starting to turn into ice and puddle (not pleasant) I began to grow hope that spring is almost here. Some people says that I shouldn't get my hope up because it will snow again. Yes, it happened. I was totally annoyed. I'm sick of snow already!

Now, March is almost over. The weather is sunny most of the time. I even shot some hoops with the Pulombos the other day and took pictures at the school's huge yard. I'm just looking forward to Spring!

Ok, enough about the weather. What had happened in March?

Ok well, one of the teachers in my school got suspended THEN arrested because he went out drinking with a student. He's the teacher that is supposed to lead the musical. Everyone in the musical are not pleased.

Last Sunday, my AFS friends and I went to a Maple Syrup factory. Maple syrup is so yummy and it's a Northern country thing. But Vermont produce more maple syrup than New York. I saw how they collect the sap from the maple trees and process them until it turns into syrup. They first condense the sap, increase the percentage of sugar from 2% to 67%, and filter the remaining minerals and voila! From the syrup, they also make maple cream (really yummy on toasts) and maple candies!

I feel I have too much time now I no longer join sports at school. I realized that my time management is better when I was busied by all the basketball practices and games. Even though I go to the musical rehearsals every monday to thursday, but it doesn't take as long. I guess I like being busy better. Keeps my mind off of home.

I have 3 months left. I don't really care about it. I just don't want to go to school here (I mean high school). It's so tiring. Though I know the education system is better than Indonesian in a way that we are able to learn a wide variety of things rather than narrowing our choices. I just don't like the fact that we have to change classes every 45 minutes and the homework are boring. Basically just answering questions in the book. It's not challenging! I like making presentations better. Makes me understand the concept AND the applications better.\

So...yeah...3 months, suck it up!



No comments: