Friday, May 22, 2009

Sensory Impressions

So, okay, how many senses do we have? Five. Unless you're a superstitious kind of person and might have an additional one or two senses. LOL
Obviously, our senses play a big role in our everyday life, if you haven't noticed.

A year ago, at the AFS-YES national orientation (last July), the returnees insisted that we should open up our heart and senses, absorb everything and 'fill up our cups'. Listen to what people say, pay attention, use your eyes, your ears. So I said, "Yeah, of course."
Just yesterday, I went to McDonald's and bought its apple pie. When the first bite entered my mouth, my mind wandered back to a long long time ago when I was little. Yeah, I remembered my first apple pie ate was McDonald's apple pie and that was my favorite! I don't know why the Indonesian McDonald's had stopped selling apple pies. That apple pie that I had yesterday tasted exactly like my childhood apple pie! Yeah... welcome to the marketing world.

Knowing that food is powerfully powerful, that is to fulfill my hunger, I decided to choose cooking class as one of my classes. I found out that I prefer cooking alone. A lot of people means a mess ("did you put baking powder in already?" "Oh, I swear I measured two cups of flour!" "What the...it tates like....). With that in mind, and my beloved recipes, here I go alone...


( .above. My first desert I made at home! Chocolate swirl cheesecake! It does not look perfect, I guess I used too much chocolate, but it tasted really good! ^_^ )



( .above. This is called Tortoni! My second desert! It is an Italian dessert. Took me 30 minutes to make this. Really easy and yummy!!)


(.above. The recipe calls it "Hannah's Easy Bar Cookies". But I don't know who Hannah is and it tastes like brownies. I swear I followed the recipe! So, Let's just call it "Nadhila's chocolate topped brownies. Oh, it's soooo good!!)

Other than those, I also made Gulai sapi, opor ayam, mango smoothies, chocolate chip cookies and muffins. I shall not say that I cook a lot in here, but I shall say that here I cook more than I do at home. Cooking is an art. But, I just do it because I'm always hungry. Haha..
Now wait, who would think that I will be able to cook, to face the hot oven (which I hated), the noisy swirling mixer (I hated that too), and the messiness??
Who would think that I will be able to play basketball, practising 14 hours a week?
Who? I guess I, myself think that I would never do such things. No, no, no, never. I'd rather read books, study, hang out with friends, shop, etc.

Let's just call it "Self-exploration."

No comments: